Sweet Water Chestnut Cake
8 oz – Canned whole water chestnut
4 oz – Water chestnut flour
1½ Tbsp – Cornstarch
1 Tbsp – Custard powder
7 oz – Sugar
1½ tsp – Corn or canola oil
2 fluid cups – Water
- Dissolve water chestnut flour with 1¼ cups water. Strain. Add cornstarch and custard powder. Stir to dissolve. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Oil a 7″ diameter cake pan.
- Drain water chestnut. Coarse chop or pound with the flat side of a cleaver.
- Bring ¾ cup of water to a boil in a 2 litre saucepan. Add sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add water chestnut and oil. Bring to boil again. Remove from heat. Add flours and water mixture. Stir to combine. Put pan back on medium heat. Stir to form a sticky paste. Remove from heat. Stir vigorously until paste is smooth and translucent. Put mixture in prepared cake pan. Level out the top with some oil.
- Steam on high heat for about 1 hour. Remove from heat. Cool completely before removing cake from pan. Slice and serve at room temperature. Leftover can be refrigerated. Reheat in microwave or pan-fry both sides with some oil until heated through.
Note: Water chestnut flour is also known as water chestnut starch.