Vegetarian cooking in Japan was established by buddist monks in the Kamakura era. Cooking methods and detaied rules were set up at that time.
- Vegetables with strong smell such as leek, green onion and garlic should not be used.
- Spices with strong stimulating effect should not be used.
- Five cooking methods – raw, boil, grill, fry and steam.
- Five seasonings – sweet, mild spicy, sour, bitter and salty.
- Five colours – red, white, green, yellow and black ingredients used in the menu.
- Minimum wastage of ingredients used.
Below are examples of Japanese vegetarian meals.
See my related post: