1/3 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and centre scraped out
1 cup white wine vinegar sugar for sprinkling
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped
2½ oz butter, melted
2 tbsp icing sugar
pinch of salt
2 tbsp orange juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 egg whites
- The night before, peel fruit and reserve. Remove as much pith from peel as possible.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine peel, sugar and the centre of vanilla bean with enough water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour. Drain peel, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- On day of preparation, segment fruit and remove membrane. Dice fruit and tomato; set aside.
- Finely julienne peel and set aside.
To prepare tuile
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190oc).
- In medium bowl, whisk together butter and sugar. Add salt and orange juice. Add flour, whisking until combined well. Add egg whites, mixing until smooth.
- Spoon 1 tsp of the batter on to cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Using pastry brush, spread batter into a very thin circle. Do not crowd too many wafers onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly golden. Makes about 20 wafers.
To prepare syrup
In small saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine water and sugar; bring to a boil. Add mint. Remove from heat and transfer to food processor, puréeing until smooth. Pass through sieve, pushing through with back of wooden spoon.
- In medium bowl, combine fruit, tomato and syrup, mixing well.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs in water and vinegar, 3 minutes. Remove and plunge eggs into ice water.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Divide fruit mixture between plates. Place wafer on top of fruit and top with poached egg. Sprinkle each egg with sugar and place under broiler to caramelize. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.