600 g fresh shrimp
160 g celery, sliced
2 onions, shredded
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup skimmed milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 pack medium firm tofu, cut into cubes
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
- Shell shrimp and remove vein. Set aside the shells.
- Rinse shelled shrimp and poach in 4 to 5 cup of water with 1 tsp salt until just cooked. Remove and cool.
- Fry shrimp shells in a pot with some oil. Add celery, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add chicken broth and 4 cups of shrimp poaching water from Step 2.
- Simmer the soup for 40 minutes. Strain and return to pot. Mix in thickening solution and milk. Continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add tofu and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Source: Hong Kong magazine