6 red bell peppers
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 to 2 tsp Tabasco
85-ml pouch Certo liquid pectin
3 1-cup canning jars with screw top rings and new vacuum-seal lids
- Sterilize jars and lids.
- Core and seed peppers, cut into pieces. Pulse in food processor until finely diced. Put pepper in a sieve. Press with the back of a large spoon to extract juices. Discard solids after collecting 1 cup juice.
- Pour juice into a large sauce pan over high heat. Stir in sugar, vinegar and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Then stir in liquid pectin. Bring to a boil again. Continue stirring constantly, while jelly boils vigorously, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Using a metal ladle skim off and discard any foam as it forms on top of the jelly. Be careful because the liquid is extremely hot.
- Ladle into warm sterilized jars. Using a damp cloth, wipe rims of jars clean. Fit flat vacuum-seal lids on top of jars, and then screw on rings. The heat from the jelly will cause the lids to seal. Let jars stand on counter until completely cooled, from 12 to 24 hours.
- Test vacuum seal on jars by removing rings. Push on centre of each lid. It should not have any give. Screw rings back on. Store in pantry up to 3 months.