Hot and Sour Soup
8 oz boneless skinless chicken thigh
2 oz dried Chinese mushroom (about 6 to 8 pieces of 1½” diameter)
1/4 to 1/2 oz dried black shredded fungus (about 1/3 cup)
4 Tbsp (1/2 pack) Sichuan preserved vegetable (榨菜)
1/2 to 1 lb medium firm tofu (drained)
1 Tbsp ginger (shredded)
1 tsp chili oil
3 Tbsp green onion (chopped)
900 ml 25% reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup Chinese red vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1½ tsp Sugar
2 tsp dark soy sauce
dash Szechuan ground pepper
2 tsp cooking wine
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1 tsp sesame oil
- Give dried mushroom a quick rinse, then soak in cold water in a covered bowl for about 1½ hour or until softened. Cut off stems, if any. Rinse cap between the gill and squeeze out water. Cut caps into thin shreds.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add chicken. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off heat. Leave chicken in covered saucepan for about 25 minutes. Remove. Cool and tear into shreds.
- Soak dried fungus in slightly hot water for about 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Rinse tofu with cold water. Drain and cut into thick strips.
- Mix seasoning ingredients and thickening solution separately.
- Add 1 tsp oil to a wok or cooking pot. Add seasoning ingredients, Chinese mushroom, black fungus, ginger and Sichuan preserved vegetable. Bring to a boil. Add thickening solution. Keep stirring until mixture boils and thickens. Add chili oil, tofu and chicken. Bring mixture to full boil again. Add chopped green onion. Mix well and serve hot with additional chili oil if desired.
Nutrition value for 1/6 portion of recipe:
Calorie 126, Fat 3.9 g, Carbohydrate 13 g, Fibre 1 g, Sugar 3 g, Cholesterol 31 mg, Sodium 937 mg, Protein 11 g.
- Dried Chinese Mushroom
- Dried Black Shredded Fungus
- Chinese Red Vinegar
- Szechuan Ground Pepper
- Sichuan Preserved Vegetable
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes