Thai Country Soup
20 pieces frozen large shell-on shrimp
9 oz cauliflower floret
6 oz bok choy (rough chopped)
8 oz suey choy (rough chopped)
3 oz peapod or green bean
2/3 to 1 can canned straw mushroom
1″ piece galangal
2 oz lemongrass
2 pieces lime leaves
1 or to taste Thai chili (finely sliced)
Cilantro (for garnish)
Broth and Seasoning:
7 cups chicken broth (7 cups water + 2 tsp chicken broth mix)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
3½ Tbsp tamarind paste
1½ Tbsp red curry paste
2 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp sugar
- Thaw frozen shrimp in refrigerator overnight or in a colander under running cold tap water. Peel shrimp and devein, if any. Dry shrimp with paper towel. Set aside.
- Remove tips and strings from peapod. Cut long ones into 2 pieces. If using green bean, remove tips and ends. Cut into 1” pieces.
- Cut straw mushroom into halves and large ones into 3 to 4 pieces. Rinse and drain.
- Smash lemongrass with the flat side of a chef’s knife or cleaver and slice into 1″ pieces. Slice the galangal into thin rounds. Tear each lime leave into 2 pieces.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or wok. Add lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves and boil for 2 minutes. Add curry paste, tamarind paste and fish sauce. Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes. Remove aromatics and discard.
- Reboil liquid. Add cauliflower and suey choy. Cover wok and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add peapod/green bean, bok choy and straw mushroom. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns pink. Add lime juice and sugar. Stir and turn off heat. Pour into individual serving bowls or soup tureen. Garnish with cilantro and chili.
Nutrition value for 1/8 portion of recipe:
Calorie 76, Fat 0.9 g, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fibre 3 g, Sugar 3 g, Cholesterol 31 mg, Sodium 965 mg, Protein 8 g.
- Fish Sauce
- Red Curry Paste
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes