Japanese Hearty Soup
8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh
One 300 g pack soft tofu
14 to 16 pieces konnyaku
4 oz carrot (1/4″ slices)
13 oz potato
3 Tbsp wakame seaweed
1/2 tsp salt
1½ Tbsp sake
3/4 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp oil
Broth and Seasoning:
6 cups hot water
2 tsp dashi granules (Bonito fish soup stock mix)
2½ Tbsp Japanese soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin seasoning (Honteri)
3 Tbsp sake
1/8 tsp or to taste salt
- Cut chicken into thick slices or chunks. Add marinade. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse and cut tofu into 3/4-inch dices.
- Rinse and drain konnyaku.
- Peel potato and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Soak in a mixture of 3 cups water and 1/2 tsp vinegar for 30 minutes to prevent from discolouration. Drain before cooking.
- Add water and dashi granules to a pot or wok. Stir to dissolve. Add potato and carrot. Bring to a boil. Cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat or until potato is just fork tender. Add chicken, cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining seasoning and wakame seaweed. Bring to a boil. Add tofu and konnyaku. Bring to a boil again. Serve hot.
Nutrition value for 1/6 portion of recipe:
Calorie 150, Fat 2.9 g, Carbohydrate 16 g, Fibre 2 g, Sugar 2 g, Cholesterol 24 mg, Sodium 985 mg, Protein 14 g.
- Japanese Soy Sauce
- Mirin-style Sweet Cooking Seasoning
- Wakame seaweed
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes