Tofu and Quinoa Dumpling with Mushroom Broth and Baby Bok Choy
1/2 of 454 g pack medium firm tofu
1/4 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp dried black sliced fungus 木耳丝
1½ Tbsp Szechuan preserved vegetable 榨菜
2 Tbsp carrot (finely minced)
2 tsp ginger (finely minced)
36 pieces frozen dumpling wrap
10 to 12 pieces small baby bok choy
2 to 3 Tbsp green onion (chopped)
Seasoning for Filling:
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp mushroom seasoning
1/8 tsp white ground pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp chili soybean 辣豆瓣
1½ Tbsp oil
4 cups water
2½ tsp mushroom seasoning
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp or to taste salt
- Thaw frozen dumpling wrap in refrigerator overnight.
- Soak black fungus in hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse, drain and finely chop.
- Finely chop Szechuan preserved vegetable.
- Rinse bok choy several times to remove dirt and grit. Cut each one into halves.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Cook in a 1 L saucepan in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Cut tofu into ½” dices and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Dry with paper towel and put in a medium size bowl. Mash with a spoon and set aside.
- To make filling: Mix mashed tofu with quinoa. Add seasoning and mix well. Add fungus, preserved vegetable, carrot and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Wet the edge of a dumpling wrap all around with water. Put about 1½ tsp of filling in the centre of the wrap. Fold the wrap in half to enclose the filling and pinch the edges together (see demonstration in class). Repeat with the rest of the filling and wraps.
- Boil mushroom broth ingredients in a 2 to 3 L saucepan. Keep warm.
- Boil about 11 cups of water in a wok or large pot. Add dumplings. Immediately loosen dumplings with a spatula to prevent from sticking to the bottom. Cover and cook on medium heat until water comes to a boil and dumplings float to the surface. Add a cup of cold water and bring water to a boil again. Remove and drain. Put dumplings in individual serving bowls.
- While dumplings are cooking, reboil mushroom broth and add bok choy. Cook until tender crisp and arrange on top of dumplings in serving bowls. Pour soup over and garnish with chopped green onion. Serve hot.
Nutrition value for 6 dumplings:
Calorie 230, Fat 7.1 g, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fibre 2 g, Sugar 2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 799 mg, Protein 10 g.
- Black (Wood Ear) Fungus
- Chili Soybean
- Mushroom Seasoning
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes