Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
12 pieces large frozen shell-on shrimp
4 oz fresh button mushroom (sliced)
1½ oz celery (sliced)
3 oz canned straw mushroom (drained)
about 1½ oz lmongrass
4 pieces lime leaf
3 slices galangal
2 tsp Thai chili paste
1 piece or to taste fresh Thai chili (finely sliced)
5 to 6 sprigs cilantro (chopped)
Broth and Seasoning:
3 cups Chicken broth (Or 2 tsp chicken broth mix + 3 cups water)
1½ Tbsp lime juice
1-1/3 Tbsp fish sauce
- Thaw frozen shrimp in refrigerator overnight or in a colander under running cold tap water. Peel shrimp and devein, if any. Dry shrimp with paper towel.
- Trim the base of lemongrass stem and remove the tough outer layers. Cut the stem into 1/2-inch pieces. Bruise with knife or cleaver.
- Rinse lime leaf and galangal before using.
- Cut straw mushroom into halves or big ones into 3 or 4 pieces. Rinse and drain.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add lemongrass, lime leaf, galangal and chili paste. Bring to boil again. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add button mushroom, straw mushroom, celery, lime juice and fish sauce. Cook for another minute.
- Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns pink and liquid reboils again.
- Pour into individual serving bowls. Sprinkle chili and cilantro over soup. Serve hot.
Nutrition value for 1/3 portion of recipe:
Calorie 109, Fat 1.9 g, Carbohydrate 11 g, Fibre 1 g, 2 g, Cholesterol 102 mg, Sodium 1,730 mg, Protein 14 g.