Thai Roasted Vegetable, Chicken and Rice Soup
8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
3 oz celery
4 oz canned straw mushroom
2 oz canned sliced bamboo shoot
1 cup cooked rice
2 (1½” long) fresh Thai red chili (thinly sliced) for garnish
5 to 6 sprigs cilantro (optional) for garnish
2 tsp fish sauce
2½ tsp water
1½ tsp cornstarch
1½ tsp oil
2 oz lemongrass
2 oz galangal
8 lime leaf
4 (1½” long)Thai chili
1 bulb (2½ oz) garlic
4 oz shallot
Broth and Seasoning
7 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1½ tsp or to taste fish sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse all roasting ingredients. Cut lemongrass into 1½” pieces. Cut off tips from garlic bulb. Remove skins from shallot and stems from chili.
- Wrap all roasting ingredients loosely in foil and place on a cookie sheet. Roast or bake for 20 minutes. Uncover foil and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into slices. Add marinade and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Cut celery into 1/2” slices and bamboo shoot slices into strips.
- Cut straw mushroom into halves. Rinse and drain.
- Boil 7 cups of water in a wok or pot. Add roasted ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Discard roasted ingredients. Add bouillon cube and rice. Stir to break up lumps of rice. Bring to a boil. Add celery, straw mushroom, bamboo shoot and chicken. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add fish sauce. Stir and remove from heat. Serve in individual bowls and garnish with sliced chili and cilantro.
Nutrition value for 1/6 portion of recipe:
Calorie 159, Fat 3.3 g, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fibre 2 g, Sugar 2 g, Cholesterol 24 mg, Sodium 676 mg, Protein 12 g.