2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup maple syrup, warmed
1-1/2 cups sliced Strawberries or blueberries
- Mix the buttermilk and oats in a small bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda. salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula just until flour mixture is moistened.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray. Heat the iron. Spoon in enough the batter to cover three-quarters of the surface, close the iron, and cook until the waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Keep the waffles warm in a 200°F (90°C) oven while you finish cooking the remaining batter.
- Top with maple syrup and strawberries (or blueberries). One serving is 2 waffles. Wrap any leftover waffles individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.
Makes 8 servings.
Source: Magic Foods