1/2 lb skin-on pork belly
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fish sauce
1-1/2 tsp pickled green peppercorns, lightly crushed
3/4 tsp grated palm sugar
5 fresh or frozen Kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
6 fresh green Thai chilies, stemmed and halved
1 3-inch-piece galangal, peeled and grated
1/2 lb long beans or regular green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
1 cup packed basil leaves
Red Curry Paste
12 dried red Thai chilies, stemmed and roughly chopped
1/3 cup small dried shrimp, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro root or stems
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
6 small Asian shallots or 2 medium regular shallots, roughly chopped
6 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 4-inch-piece galangal, peeled and thinly sliced
- To make the paste, place chilies in a bowl and cover with 2 cups boiling water. Let sit until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain chilies, reserving 5 tbsp liquid.
- Place chilies in a small food processor with dried shrimp, cilantro root, salt, garlic, shallots, lemongrass and galangal; pulse until roughly chopped. Add reserved liquid; purée until smooth. Set 1/2 cup aside; refrigerate remaining paste for future use up to 2 weeks.
- Bring pork and 6 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt saucepan over high heat. Cook until pork is tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer pork to an ice bath. Drain, dry completely, and discard skin.
- Cut pork into 1-inch pieces about 1/2-inch thick and set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat and add pork. Cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides and fat is rendered, about 12 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix in the 1/2 cup curry paste. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, peppercorns, palm sugar, lime leaves, chilies, galangal, and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil. Add beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove wok from heat. Stir in basil. Serve with cooked jasmine rice on the side.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Source: Thai Food