12 large dried black mushrooms
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1/2 chicken stock cube
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
8 oz fresh or frozen broccoli
8 oz raw shrimp
3-1/2 oz fresh or tinned crabmeat
3 water chestnuts
1 tablespoon finely diced pork fat
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground white pepper
- Rinse mushrooms in cold water then leave to soak in 2 cups warm water for about 2 hours. Drain. Discard mushroom stems and squeeze mushrooms dry.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and gently fry garlic for about 15 seconds. Raise heat and add mushrooms. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add 1 cup water and stock cube. Simmer very gently for about 1 hour or until mushrooms are tender. Remove mushrooms from cooking liquid and drain.
- Thicken cooking liquid with 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with cold water and set this sauce aside.
- While mushrooms are simmering, prepare the filling. Peel shrimp, flake crabmeat, and peel the water chestnuts. Put the water chestnuts and pork fat in a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds until a rough paste results. Add shrimp, crabmeat, salt and pepper and process for another few seconds.
- When the cooked, drained mushrooms have cooled sufficiently to handle, sprinkle the inside of each cap with a little cornstarch. Press on some of the filling, mounding it slightly. If desired, the mushrooms can now be stored in the refrigerator for several hours and the dish finalised just before the meal.
- Put the stuffed mushrooms into heat-proof plate and steam for 20 minutes.
- Cook the broccoli until it is just tender. Arrange mushrooms in the centre of a serving platter.
- Pour any liquid that has accumulated in the steaming plate into the prepared sauce. Re-heat and pour over the mushrooms. Arrange broccoli around the edge of the serving platter. Sprinkle the mushrooms with a little ground white pepper, and serve immediately.
Source: Singapore Food