4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tonka bean
2-1/2 cups heavy cream
8 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup demerara sugar or other raw cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 225ºF.
- Place six brûlée dishes or flameproof ramekins into a shallow roasting pan and fill the pan with water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Using a nutmeg grater, grate the tonka bean, then mix with the chocolate. Put the cream into a saucepan and heat to just below boiling point, then pour over the chocolate and mix gently until the chocolate has melted.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and granulated sugar using an electric handheld mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat the chocolate cream, a little at a time, into the egg mixture.
- Pour into the dishes in the bain-marie and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until set.
- Let cool, then chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle demerara sugar over the top of each dish, then caramelize using a kitchen blowtorch.
If you do not have a kitchen blowtorch, sprinkle the creme brfil6es with the sugar and put on a baking sheet. Place under a hot broiler until the sugar caramelizes.
Makes 6 servings.