Four skinless salmon fillets, about 6 oz each
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup white and/or black sesame seeds
2 large shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon peeled, grated ginger
1 teaspoon chili oil
1/4 cup dry sherry wine or Spanish sherry vinegar
1/2 cup bottled clam juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Brush the salmon steaks with some of the oil. Put the sesame seeds in flat dish or pan, dredge the flesh side (not the skin side) of the steaks in the sesame seeds, and set aside.
- Combine the shallots, ginger, chili oil, sherry, clam juice, and soy sauce in an ovenproof dish. Season the salmon steaks with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining canola oil in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the steaks to the pan and sear to a golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, taking care not to burn the sesame seeds.
- Put the seared fish, sesame seeds up, on the seasoned shallots in the baking dish and put the salmon in the oven. Roast for 6 minutes for medium rare or until the fish is cooked to your preference. Serve the salmon immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Nightly Special