1/2 lb rice vermicelli
4 oz ground beef
5 oz pickled cabbage (雪菜)
3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
1 red chili, chopped
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
dash of sesame oil
dash of ground white pepper
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp water
4-1/2 cups or suitable amount of chicken stock
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cornstarch
5 tbsp water
- Wash and soak pickled mustard in water with a pinch of salt for an hour to remove salty flavour. Rinse, drain and chop.
- Soak rice vermicelli in cold water for an hour until softened. Loosen well and parboil in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain well. Transfer to big serving bowl, covered to keep warm.
- Add soup ingredients to a pot. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer.
- Marinate beef for 10 minutes with marinade ingredients.
- Saute beef with 2 tbsp oil. Add pickled cabbage when beef is nearly cooked. Add red chili and toss well. Mix in thickening solution. Cook until beef is done and the sauce is thickened.
- Add hot soup to the vermicelli in the serving bowl.
- Add beef and sauce on top of the vermicelli. Sprinkle cilantro before serving.
Source: Hong Kong Rice and Noodle