2 cups strong plain flour
1 oz lard
1 oz caster sugar
2 teaspoons easy blend dried yeast
1 egg, beaten
4 oz butter
10 apricot halves
1 egg beaten, to glaze
3 tablespoons icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sift flour into a bowl and rub in lard. Stir in salt, sugar, yeast, egg and 12 teaspoons water and mix to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth, then place in an oiled polythene bag in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Place butter between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and flatten into a 5-inch square. Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 10- x 12-inch rectangle and place butter in centre. Bring 2 sides of dough over to overlap each other, then top and bottom ends.
- Turn over and gently roll into an oblong about 3 times as long as it is wide. Fold into 3 and repeat rolling and folding 3 more times. Return to bag and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to a 20- x 8-inch rectangle and cut into 4-inch squares. Make a cut at each corner diagonally towards middle and fold 1 point from each corner into middle. Top with half an apricot and brush with beaten egg. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (425ºF).
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Mix together icing sugar and lemon juice and brush over warm pastries.
Makes 10 servings.
Source: Breakfasts and Brunches