1 pound beets
2 cups red quinoa
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
3 stems green onion, chopped
2 ounces arugula
1/2 pomegranate, seeds removed and reserved
1/4 cup chopped Marcona almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pierce the beets in a few places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until tender and easily pierced with a knife. Remove the beets from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Use paper towels to peel off the skins or your hands will be pink for days. Cut into cubes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil.
- Add the quinoa. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the quinoa is dry and fluffy. Let cool.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add the beets, quinoa, parsley, mint, scallions, and arugula and toss well to combine.
- Divide the salad among serving plates. Top with pomegranate seeds and almonds before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Source: True Food