1/2 cup black chia seeds
1/2 cup milk
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 cup raw sugar
2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1 cup white spelt flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF).
- Lightly grease a 20 cm round cake tin lined with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the chia seeds and milk in a bowl and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Place the butter, orange rind and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the chia mixture, almond meal, flour and baking powder,and fold to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- While the cake is baking, make the orange syrup.
- Place the rice malt syrup, orange rind and juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 12 minutes or until the syrup is reduced by half and thickened.
- Invert the cake onto a cake stand and, while still hot, top with the syrup. Slice And serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: Donna Hay