2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 small red onion, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound small (50 to 60 count) shrimp
1 small jicama, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
juice of 2 limes
4 pieces whole-wheat pita bread
leaves from 1 head lettuce
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 1. Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat the bottom. When the oil is hot, add the onion and jalapeno and saute, stirring, until the onions have softened, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and transfer everything to a medium bowl.
- Add the jicama, bell pepper, avocados and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Toast and quarter the pita, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Divide the lettuce leaves among four individual plates. Top with the shrimp mixture. Arrange the pita around the salad, garnish the salad with chives, and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Simply Ming One-pot Meals