1 kg fresh pork neck — if in 1 piece, cut into 5 thick slices
1/4 cup finely diced ginger
10 garlic cloves, finely diced
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons black vinegar
1 cup Shao Hsing wine
1 cup char siu sauce
1 cup Chinese BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine pork with marinade ingredients in a large bowl, cover and leave to marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Next day, preheat the oven to moderate (190ºC).
- Remove pork from the bowl, reserving the marinade. Place pork on a wire rack inside a roasting tin, then fill the tin with water to a depth of 4 cm.
- Roast the pork for 15 minutes, then turn the meat over and baste with generous amounts of the reserved marinade.
- Roast for a further 15 minutes, then baste again. Turn oven to hot (220°C) and roast the pork for 10 minutes.
- Remove pork from oven and allow to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices about 1 cm thick and serve with steamed bok choy and cooked rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Kylie Kwong