1/2 cup wild rice
2 tsp gropeseed, comelino or sunflower oil
2 shallots, chopped
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
6 large organic eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place rice and 2 cups water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender but still slightly chewy, about 40 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, mushrooms and salt. Cook until mushrooms are tender and have given off their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and peas to pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- In large bowl, whisk eggs and stir in mushroom mixture, rice, Parmesan, thyme and pepper. Divide mixture among 12 greased or muffin paper-lined standard-sized muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Let cool for a few minutes before unmoulding.
Makes 4 servings.
To speed up the cooking time, soak the wild rice in water for several hours.
Source: Sage magazine