Posted on March 22, 2017 by cookwithkathy
2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups white onions, finely chopped (1 large onion)
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 inch piece of ginger root, grated
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or sour cream
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
4 prepared nan bread
- Heat clarified butter or ghee and olive oil in a heavy-bottom saucepan. Saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and ginger. Stir to combine and continue sauteing until the garlic and ginger begin to turn golden.
- Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, turmeric and cinnamon. Saute for a couple more minutes to “toast” the spices.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and chunks of chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally. Stir in cream. Continue to simmer on low heat with the lid off, stirring occasionally until the sauce is reduced and the consistency of thick gravy. The sauce can be made in advance and kept for 2 days in the refrigerator.
- To make the pizza: Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Lay the nan out on a rack set into a sheet pan and sprinkle a small amount of the grated cheese on the bread. Top the cheese with the tikka masala, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge. Sprinkle the top with more grated cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes. The pizza is done when the cheese is melted and the edges are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and brush the edges with a little olive oil while it is still hot. Serve and enjoy.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: Institute of Culinary Education
Filed under: Asian, Bread, Cheese, Chicken, Dairy, Herb, Pizza, Recipe Clipping | Comments Off on Indian-style Pizza with Chicken Tikka Masala on Nan Bread
Posted on October 13, 2014 by cookwithkathy
1 stale large white loaf
5 oz butter, melted
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
4 cherry tomatoes
4 cocktail sausages
1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 button mushrooms, halved
4 quail eggs
parsley sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cut crusts off bread to give a 3 x 3 x 10-inch rectangle. Cut into 4 equal slices measuring 3 x 3 x 2½-inch. Score a 2 x 2-inch square in the centre of each bread cube, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Work a knife round the central square, cutting down to within 1/2 inch of base and remove the inner square of bread and use to make breadcrumbs.
- Brush the cubes with melted butter and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until they are crisp and golden.
- Roll up the bacon and secure with cocktail sticks. Thread on tomatoes and grill under a preheat grill for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Fry the sausages in the oil until brown, then add the mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Plunge the eggs into boiling water for 2 minutes. Refresh in cold water and remove the shells.
- Arrange the bacon rolls, tomatoes, sausages, mushrooms and egg in the bread croûte. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: Breakfasts and Brunches
Filed under: Breakfast, Egg, Pizza, Recipe Clipping, Vegetable | Comments Off on Breakfast Croustades
Posted on January 1, 2014 by cookwithkathy
6 oz potato, peeled and diced
2 tbsp butter or margarine
4 oz self-rising flour
1 tbsp milk
2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 oz button mushroom, sliced
2 to 3 oz pepperoni, thinly sliced
2 to 3 large tomatoes, sliced
1 tsp freshly chopped thyme or oregano
2 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook potato in boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Mash potato or puree in a food processor. Add butter and seasonings to taste and mash until smooth. Gradually work in flour and milk to give a fairly stiff dough. On a floured surface, roll out to a round about 8 inches in diameter.
- Heat a tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Fry pizza base gently for 7 to 8 minutes or until underside is well browned.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic until beginning to turn brown. Add mushroom and fry for a few minutes longer.
- Spoon onion mixture over base, and cover with pepperoni, tomato and herbs. Place mozzarella slices on top and sprinkle with grated cheddar. Place under a grill and cook until cheese is melted and browned. Cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Source: 50 ways with potatoes
Filed under: Pizza, Recipe Clipping, Vegetable | Comments Off on Pizza with Potato
Posted on November 27, 2013 by cookwithkathy
16 raw shrimps, peeled and deveined
1 tsp lime juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
12 oz spaghettini
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2-inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 bunch cilantro
1 small bunch of Thai basil
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
- To make the Asian pesto, blend garlic, ginger, and salt with food processor. Reserve a few pine nuts for serving, and then add the remaining ingredients except sesame oil. Process briefly to a coarse purée. Drizzle sesame oil into the mixture while blending. Remove and set aside.
- Mix lime juice, garlic and 2 tbsp olive oil in a bowl. Add shrimp and coat well. Set aside for 2 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet. Drain shrimp and add to skillet. Sauté over high heat for 2 minutes, until just pink. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and add a small ladle of pasta water to the pesto.
- Toss pasta and pesto together. Remove to serving plates. Top with shrimps and pine nuts before serving.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Source: Noodles and Pasta
Filed under: Asian, Pizza, Recipe Clipping, Seafood | Comments Off on Asian-flavour Pasta with shrimp
Posted on December 5, 2012 by cookwithkathy
1 12-inch pizza crust, baked
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks.
1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
1/4 cup sliced black olive
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over pizza crust.
- Place egg wedges over tomato mixture. Scatter olive over pizza. Top with cheeses.
- Microwave pizza on high until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve.
Source: Manitoba Style
Filed under: Cheese, Egg, Pizza, Recipe Clipping, Vegetable | Comments Off on A Quick Pizza