Stir-fried Brown Rice Vermicelli with Vegetables Singapore Style
One 250 g package dried brown rice vermicelli
2 pieces pressed tofu
1/2 cup packed dried black sliced fungus 木耳丝
3 oz onion
3 oz green bell pepper
2 oz red bell pepper
1½ oz carrot
1 large egg (optional)
2½ tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 Tbsp Char Siu sauce
8 tsp water
1 tsp sesame oil
2½ Tbsp light soy sauce
3/4 tsp mushroom seasoning
dash white ground pepper
9 Tbsp water
- Cut each piece of pressed tofu into 2 halves. Cut each half into 8 slices and in turn into thin strips. In a 1 L saucepan, mix tofu seasoning and bring to a boil. Add tofu, stir gently and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Stand mixture for 30 minutes. Remove and drain. Discard seasoning in saucepan.
- Soak rice vermicelli in cold water for 20 minutes. Remove and drain. Cut into shorter lengths.
- Soak fungus in hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Slice onion, bell peppers and carrot into thin strips.
- Beat egg and set aside (if using).
- Mix seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Heat wok and add 1 tsp oil. Fry egg (if using) until set. Break up into smaller pieces with a wok spatula. Remove.
- Add another 1½ Tbsp oil to wok. Stir-fry fungus for 30 seconds. Add carrot and bell peppers, toss for 30 seconds. Remove.
- Reheat wok and add 1 Tbsp oil. Sauté onion for 30 seconds. Add curry powder and turmeric powder. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add seasoning ingredients and rice vermicelli. Keep tossing until seasoning is absorbed. Return vegetables in Step 8 to wok. Toss to combine. Add tofu and egg (if using) and toss gently. Remove and serve hot.
Nutrition value for 1/6 portion of recipe:
Calorie 282, Fat 8.7 g, Carbohydrate 43 g, Fibre 3 g, Sugar 3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 294 mg, Protein 9 g.
- Black (Wood Ear) Fungus
- Mushroom Seasoning
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes