Rice with Chicken and Chinese Vegetables in a Pot
8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup dried shredded black fungus
4 dried Chinese mushroom (1½” cap)
3 oz onion (thinly sliced)
2 slices + 2 tsp (minced) ginger
2 tsp shallot (minced)
2 stalks green onion (1” pieces)
1 fluid cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp water
1 tsp cooking wine
1/8 tsp white ground pepper
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3/4 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cooking wine
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
3/4 tsp sesame oil
1½ cups water
1¼ tsp chicken broth mix
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
3 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cornstarch
- Rinse and soak dried mushroom in cold water in a covered bowl for at least 1½ hour to overnight, depending on the thickness of the caps. Cut off stems and discard. Rinse caps between gills to remove dirt and grit. Squeeze out water. Cut each cap into thin slices. Add mushroom marinade and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Soak black fungus in hot water for about 30 minutes. Rinse and drain. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into slices. Add chicken marinade and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Mix rice seasoning and seasoning in separate bowls.
- Add rice to a ceramic pot together with rice seasoning and 2 slices of ginger. Cover and cook on medium heat until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat. With the lid still on, stand for 10 minutes.
- After rice has cooked for 15 minutes on low, stir-fry chicken and vegetables as follows:
- Heat wok and add 1 Tbsp oil. Stir-fry onion for 30 seconds. Add mushroom and fungus. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Remove.
- Rinse, dry, reheat wok and add 1½ Tbsp oil. Sauté half of the minced ginger and shallot until fragrant. Stir-fry half of the marinated chicken until no longer pink. Remove. Add another 1 Tbsp oil to wok. Sauté remaining minced ginger and shallot until fragrant. Stir-fry remaining chicken until no longer pink. Return previously cooked chicken to wok. Add 2 tsp wine and toss briefly. Return vegetables in Step 7 to wok. Add green onion and seasoning, toss until mixture reboils. Arrange on top of rice which has been standing for 10 minutes. Cover lid and stand for another 7 to 10 minutes. Mix well before serving.
Nutrition value for 1/4 portion of recipe:
Calorie 378, Fat 14.1 g, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fibre 2 g, Sugar 3 g, Cholesterol 37 mg, Sodium 781 mg, Protein 18 g.
- Black Mushroom
- Dried Black (Wood Ear) Fungus
- Light Soy Sauce and Dark Soy Sauce
- Pictures of selected ingredients used in my recipes
- See my other recipes